Wednesday, July 19, 2017

IPCPR 2017: A Retrospective

Soitenly gentlepersons, opting to focus on the positive is the way to go. In keeping on the sunny-side, always on the sunny-side, not herein shall mention be made of Kafie 1901's curious IPCPR trade-show no-show in the same calender year they've expanded into their own factory. Positives only! Not the stagnant now Altria-owned Nat Sherman. Nor the saddest "Wahoo" ever recorded in the Lavida Habano booth, as to the not-in-attendance Lavida Isla. I just ain't going there. Don't even ask. 'Nuff, I say! Folding beach chairs, tho? ...
Instead, here is a magnificent seven, whom's surely caught my attention from afar. I was not there in body, only in soul. I am unfortunately on a rigorous schedule of hair-washing, gentlepersons. Yous understand. The travelling may have messed up my follicular vitality.

In a truest of unveilings, one that no one even in the My Father sales force foresaw, the La Opulencia was ta-da'd to all's astonishment. I am on record that its Super Toro format will be Cigar Aficionado's Top 25 #2 the very next time 'round. Ya heard it here first. If inaccurate -- ya heard it elsewheres... maybe even nowheres. Huh? Nothing.

Matt Booth and Robert Caldwell intro'd their well-hyped Hit & Run offering. I was unimpressed by the previous Caldwell All Out Kings well-hyped collab offering, but if all else fails The Truth shall set us free. 'Cause it is AJF's world and we are just paying thankfully rather affordable rents. Plus, whom don't like retro video games? Me. Still, sounds fun.

Jas Sum Kral Didn't even have to show at the show to make my list of show-stoppers. Instead, the boutique as... pardon my French brand continued to feed its cult-like following by making all aware of their restocking via fun lil emails along the way. Nothing coulda re-stated their mission like avoiding the Vegas fracas entirely. Genius!

Rocky Patel Let loose a tandem of offerings which caught a tandem of eyes or two with their Hamlet 25th and the return of their Rocky Patel Fifty. That Hamlet, a Sr. Paredes follow-up to his original and inaugural non-Cuban go, is sure to show highly (bronze mayhaps) on the CA 25 -- perchance, copper.

Fratello Cigars came in with a strong tailwind blown courtesy of a Washington Post "This NASA analyst left a $200,000 job to sell cigars" write-up of owner Omar de Frias. Too, they showed the Fratello Navetta, which I erroneously reported as translating to "A whale's vagina." It should be yuge, nonetheless. A moment of curiosity doth hit me, when Mr. Frias was surprised at the aforementioned Post comments, which were somewhat anti-tobacco. What would one expect these days? Pfft, mainstream. Retro video games sound funner now.

The water tower looked cool. Dope, even. But wherest Drew Estate really spit fire was with the national release of their Florida Sun Grown and new Undercrown Sun Grown. I have stated if I were just a smoker, and mayhaps had a thicker wallet, I'd be AOK with just smoking the Undercrown line. I doth do think that the Undercrown Sun Grown has me the most a-flutter of the show releases.

Enclave Broadleaf! From the AJ Fernandez website: "This bold blend is accentuated by an earthy, full-flavored select Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper. A delightfully robust cigar with a symphony of flavors from AJ’s homegrown Nicaraguan binder and filler tobacco. A full bodied masterpiece!" I say we could be looking at the numero uno right here, gentlepersons -- in the Cigar Aficionado sense. Especially if the first third floors, as typically, that's as far as those fellas smoke 'em. Read my Cigar Aficionado on Cigar Aficionado to fully understand, please.
So very much to look forward to.

I found it strange that Mbombay was so quiet at the show. Last year, I looked to them to potentially crack the g/class ceiling and enter into the Top 25 I keep mentioning. Then they came out with even more Gaaja goodnesses. Great cigars. I so wanted Mel Shah to roar. Too and unrelated, I really miss Las Cumbres [sad emoji].

Thank-you for reading this reverse compliment sammich of an editorial i cobbled together whilst burning fat burgers for lunch with the sole purpose of sharing my own links and upping my blog hits. GARBAGE!

MORE GARBAGE:
(Frequently Unasked Questions)

WHAT OF NOVELTY SOCKS?
What of 'em? The following is a look into the world of socks, writ in largess:

The fashionistas almost to a gentleperson agree:
  • White socks are only for exercise.
  • Wear dress socks with dress shoes.
  • Avoid looking like you are wearing booties by avoiding the same color as your shoes.
  • Match them to your tie, shirt, pocket square, or even your eyes. Something.
Humsoever, they are fercockt in their thinking.

Gentlepersons, here's your sock drawer contents:
  • Black socks.
  • White socks (no grey cushion fanciness).
  • No socks. 
Novelty. The key to novelty is two-fold. It is to be delivered both casual and unexpected. Same as joke-telling. If wearing a sports coat, a blazer, or even a suit with white socks is good enough for all 20 Three Stooges (21, if you count Emil Sitka), it's good enough for the likes of you. Or me. Too, going sans socks is a good way to showcase your casual. I mean what says you care less what people think than, well, nothing? (JSKVirus)

As far as dress socks: nope. I changed my mind on them. Just nope.

As far as rolling socks down or wearing them to their full height: wear the proper socks. Ya want short socks? Wear short socks. Similar here, to selecting the proper format of cigar for estimated smoke session time allotment.

On a final note, women like a man in plain white boxers and black socks. Trust me. Don't ask them, for they lie.