Wednesday, June 29, 2016

A Glimpse Ahead to the 2017 Triple Crown

People love lists and they too, do love positivity. This tandem of truths, gentlepersons, is what I doth bring ya in this one singular post. Wowie wow wow.

Actually, I have been promising it for some time now, and do appreciate yer patience in the matter. I have mentioned it each time (a couple/few now) that I have forced ya to endure the opposite of what I admittedly know people adore -- namely long wordy postings of the negative-toned variety.

Like any cynic worth his salt, I feel it realistic to state the disappointment inherent in this trip-around-the-sun's Triple Crown crop. In summation of 2016 I will share what I penned already and elsewheres: "The end result was a redistribution of wealth via talent that would make Bernie Sanders blush -- if not gahd-dang lift a finger to help around the kibbutz just once. It was the excitement of a lowered and even'd field, not the excitement which comes from watching anything particularly special."

I digress.

TOP FIVE TWO YEAR-OLDS 2016
(& Cigar Pairings)
5. Battalion Runner (Cu-Avana Punisher Intensus) by Unbridled's Song, and still carrying his maiden, this colt finished second to Random Walk's successful opening gambit. Lettuce say I hear good things. No follow-up questions please, gentlepersons. A Pletcher trained horse just like Bode's Dream and too owned by St. Elias Stable LLC, he may come in more handy than spectacular.

4. Made Me Shiver (Avo Classic No. 2) by Maclean's Music (see what they did there?) this filly, bred and owned by Hill 'n' Dale Equine Holdings broke maiden her first time out at Churchill Downs a couple weeks back. She ran four and a half furlongs on dirt in a time of 0:51.05. Truth be told, against not the greatest of competition. I'm curious here to see what's next.

3. Riv (Foyle Classic) I like this bay colt, I does...mayhaps for not the best of reasons. He's by Medaglia d'Oro whom I likes, yet I ain't a pedigree guy per se. Set to go in next month's G3 Bashford Manor at a hearty 6 furlongs, someone else whom matters more than I gotta think highly of him, as well. On June third, Riv did win at Arlington in a Maiden Special Weight go.

2. Random Walk (Isabela Serpentine) the bay colt by Super Saver is one-for-one in career starts; winning at Belmont on June 3rd. The distance was five and a half furlongs on dirt, the time 1:03.35. He beat out a field of five other ponies there, including the favorite, Battalion Runner by Unbridled's Song.

1. Bode's Dream (Leaf by Oscar) this filly is the first winner by Bodemeister, and twice actually. The first at four and a half furlongs the second at a furlong more at Belmont's Astoria, on dirt, at 1:03.66. A ward of Misters Pletcher and Velazquez -- the roan runner is in very good hands, indeed.
Thank ya, gentlepersons, for accompanying me on this crossing-over to the sunny-side of the street. My feet feel better. No, really. Quite literally -- they feel great. Have I publicly stated my fleeting foot issues? Hey, lemme quote me once more again! "Not to brag, but I just bought some new Dr. Scholl's insoles for my black shoes. Double Air-Pillo, mind ya. Oh, and I'm wearing my suit jacket. Oh, and also, the suit jacket is on account of this here Opus X..." [read the full Lost City write-up HERE]

Funny thing: "Double" takes up twice as much room in my shoe. This eventually wound up with me losing a few layers of skin off my left pinkie-toe, and experiencing swelling in my right metatarsal. Oy vey iz mir! I'm back to normal thickness of insole now, and all is well. Now ya know. I just am no good at treating myself. I draw a relaxing bath and sit in it... waiting... not blinking. Can I be done? I'm kinda sitting in my own filth here...

EDITOR'S NOTE
The nerve of me pairing premium cigar offerings with horses as young as these. Will someone please think of the children!? If the FDA asks, ya ain't seen me or this post, ya hear?

As always, I have paired with a purpose. Wanna know more? Ask me on the next Kibbitz. Check yer local listings, and thanks as always, for the loaning of yer attentions.

Honorable mentions, mentioned below in "labels." This is a ploy, gentlepersons. You can use the labels to even more successfully navigate this here blog as it doth grow.