Monday, October 12, 2015

Mailbag Monday for 10.12.15

Happy Monday, gentlepersons! Here's yer Mailbag.
"How do I fix an over humidified cigar?"

This begins (at times) and ends (always) with your care. DO NOT 'simply' allow a damp stogie to sit out to dry. You don't want it dry, you want it less wet. Instead, place it in your humidor for a few weeks. If the issue began due to your humi -- re-calibrate prior, gentleperson.

Another DO NOT: place it into your humi replete w/ mold. Your whole stash will soon be trash. All told, this is less work than is re-hydrating, and with a greater potential of return to former, or near it, glory. Especially if only the foot seems troubled with sogginess.

Please note, though, that I said "Humidor" and not tupperdor and/or coolerdor. Nor did I say sammich bag, or anything other than "Humidor." The cedar, she breaths.
"What tools are necessary to use in pipe smoking?"

If cigars lend themselves to accoutrementations, pipes beg it. Beyond that, the temperament of the mainly pipe smoker is normally more precise and engineer-like than their mainly cigar smoker brethren. Cigar smokers tend to be lusty artists.

For pipe-smoking and maintenance, you'll need at least a 3-in-1 tool and pipe cleaners. For cigar smoking, although ya didn't ask, you'll 'need' what I write about HERE.

If you're wondering what I use to smoke a pipe, it's the same as cigars. Toothpick for a poker, and my Old Timer Mighty Mite is a tamper when folded and a reamer when unfolded. Too, I of course use pipe cleaners. Which reminds me, I am currently out of those. B&M, here I come...
"I'm looking to supply my brother's wedding reception with a 'cigar bar.' Just a smapling [sic] of some premium cigars for those interested. What kind of selection should I offer?"

Not an easy question, and to be quite frank, not one I'd answer sans compensation. Some items to consider are: time of day, level of smokers' experience, budget, and menu. Feel free to contact me privately for more info.
"How do you blow smoke rings?"

Well -- I blow smoke rings very well. Apparently, however, you do not. Try this:

Get thee indoors and get thee too, a dense smoke.

Draw a thick puff of smoke into your smoke-hole. Hold it there and open your mouth slowly. Make an "O" with your mouth/lips. Curl the tip of your tongue down, and pull your tongue all the way back.

When blowing a smoke-ring (as opposed to an O-ring, which requires consuming large quantities of food truck Mexican cuisine), you're not forcefully exhaling. You're just pushing the smoke out of yer smoke-hole with your tongue in a series of short gentle piton-like motions.

Important to note is that I answered this question because blowing smoke-rings serves an important service beyond aesthetics or coolness...blowing smoke-rings will allow you to better taste your tobacco. Try it and tell me I'm right.
"I see you use Djeep lighters. How do you feel about Zippos?"

They stink to high heaven, Ma'am. They have the very real potential to completely ruin a smoking experience of any kind. That is how I feel about Zippos.

I use a trusty Djeep as a last resort, upon giving wooden matches many, many, a crack at it. Why Djeep? They don't slip in my hand like a Bic tends to. Olus, Djeep is a French company and this instills a feeling of ohh-la-la. No?

Oui.

Got questions?
Thanks as always, for reading, gentlepersons.