Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Caldwell Cigar Co. Blind Man's Bluff - (P)review

Prologue:
9:somethingPM
As usual, we shall along the way here, meander through the topic of pairings. I’m as of yet unsure if we will do that in a heavy-handed titled segment, or simply in passing. I don’t try to squeeze these write-ups into neat and pre-planned boxes. Nevertheless, when next we discuss pairings, it will be limited, for the most part, to beverages.

Now, I will begin by discussing atmosphere, or the pairing of a cigar with a proper physical setting. Ambiance. This offering was paired in its final third by a very old friend whom I hadn’t spoke to in many a moon. It is no accident that she shares the surname of this cigar.

The final third, the long and short of it, was the stogie’s finest -- and said stogie had nada to do with it.

“What are you in for?” One inmate asks another.
The second inmate pulls the harmonica from his mouth and replies, “Atmosphere.”

My advice to you, gentlepersons, is to pay as much attention to your environment as to your cigar, as to your beverage. Thus placing yourself all the closer to Nirvana in the meditation that is a good smoke. What is the importance of a good smoke? I will reiterate meditation and add ritual. What is the importance of meditation and of ritual? To flex the muscles of our imagined free will.

At long last, and to begin: speaking of good smokes, a big thank you to Cigar Reserve for

The Cigar:
Caldwell Cigar Co.
Blind Man’s Bluff
Ecuadorian Habano wrapper
Honduran Criollo binder
San Vincente Viso & Honduran Criollo Ligero filler
Robusto 5x50 sized
Pre-light:
A chocolate mint nose. Mint? Come again? [That’s what she said.] This surprises me, as I was expecting heavy and given (de)light. A cold pull indicates some further mint and a heavier walnut taste. When pulled up into my sinuses, there is cedar.

The pack is quite firm and completely uniform. The wrapper is toothy and rugged to the feel yet there are minimal veins and nary a seam to be spotted. Rough, but not rough-hewn.

The band is a magical thing which evokes in one’s mind Tom Waits and his career long loving tribute to Vaudevillian times and energies.

Light:
The stick could easily be lit on toasting the foot. Very combustible, this. Some red pepper on first pull, nothing intimidating -- simply eye-opening in a “good morning,” not “gotcha!” sense. Cocoa, very dark, on the second and third pull. There is none left on the palate, however, since it is quickly whisked away by hot pepper spices and a cedar remains only the briefest of brieflies. Clean. Almost to the extent of the waiter who takes your plate before you finish the meal.

The burn is uneven to the point that I shall fight my Jewish (s)mothering instincts and see if it first wants to right itself. Nothing egregious, simply a tad beyond meddling and as mentioned, quite combustible.


1/3:
The smoke output is heavy and dark with no shortage of bite. Smoke this puppy, and no one will allow it to go unnoticed. Nor will your throat. The mouth has a rigid physical feel, yet the draw is easy. The burn shows a desire to learn, so I employ a light with which to tutor it. It now is quite even.

The ash piles up and it stacks well enough but shows a hint of ashiness.

The mint is hiding now in all but the slightest of hushes. I taste mainly the Criollo binder with its very nice homage to Cuba and some of the cigar world’s oldest roots via notes of baking chocolate, cedar, and roasted nuts -- but sadly not the warm and gentle bread or usual inherent sweetness. I won’t yet say that this offering is somewhat one dimensional. I will say that thus far, I find it flat.

2/3:
The ash clumps off only a tad powdery but heavy nonetheless. I even out the burn and the combustion of the cigar is again noted.

A retro-hale comes with a certain toasted bread but the balance seems off, as it fails to fully engage or to linger and warm the palate. The finish is red and black pepper that ends in cedar and is of a shorter length than the body of the smoke would indicate.

That said, it continues to warm and to flex and I have greater hopes for the

3/3:
Not a lot to touch base on here, sadly. Some mottling of remaining flavors of cedar, walnuts, hint of baking chocolate. A nice enough smoke. An occasional and somewhat out of context mintiness on the tail end of cocoa -- falling and failing to achieve a rich enough chocolate. A simplistic finish that does not develop beyond its primary notes.

Perhaps I expected too much.

Notes:
If you liked this, you’ll love a Camacho. If you’re looking to save a few shekels, I would recommend a Room 101(L)

Pairings: 
A Tawny Port is an easy bet, as it always is. Perhaps a sweet digestif (dessert) Madeira. Maybe a cup of Brazilian bean coffee with its dry and spicy notes and renowned lingering palate.

Final Grade: C+ a serviceable stick I simply hoped more of.

I wasn’t gonna, but alas: It put the “Boo” in “Boutique.” You can trust me when I say this, because I put the “Yay” in “Sommelier.”


Epilogue:
10:somethingPM
Nothing to do with the stogie -- nothing that’s make sense to any reader other than one -- “Same with me.”

I shall firstly digress.

A good enough stick made better by a lovely night.

Then I shall take my leave.


[Apologies yet again for formatting ills and typographical errors. It has become exceedingly difficult to use this account and Blogger shows no interest in addressing these concerns.]