Saturday, July 4, 2015

Punch Imported Seleccion - Cigar Review

First, I'd like to take the time to thank the helpful bend-over-backward staff over at GJ's Smoke Shop for their above and beyond detective work in A-ing my Qs.

Now we'll jump on into the deep dark abyss of this Punch offering. Too, we'll keep it light -- all in keeping with

The Cigar:
Punch Imported (Honduras for General Cigar Company) Seleccion
Maduro wrapper
Honduran filler/binder
Corona size

Punch, it's worthy of note, is the name of two (2) cigar brands. One of which is courtesy of the Cuban State owned Habanos SA -- the other -- this particular offering, is by way of the Honduran General Cigar Company.

Pre-light:
Not greasy, no, but rich to the feel. Smooth but robust. The wrap itself seems adequate, but to also vary in tension throughout -- although the pack itself is firm and even. The stogie ain't entirely straight. I don't mean that it gives very feminine men a queer look, I mean the thing is as crooked as the straightest banana you could imagine. Then a little straighter.

To the nose, There ain't much more than a dark tobacco, perhaps a hint at future cedar. I bite the cap and a cold pull offers more dark notes, the tobacco yes, but almost some dark sweet spices, as well. This stogie seems dark, but not in an abyss of despair.

Light:
I'd say the practiced hand this stick takes upon lighting is on par with the full-bodied experience of its tobacco. In short, after giving it to you long, not much here indicates a good fit for the nascent smoker.

I say this as not a knock to either stick nor newb, I say this only in thanks that my Cigar Reserve Cedar Spills were ready at my side. Being they were thoughtfully personalized, who else's side might they be by?

Nevertheless, my practiced hand rewards my smoke-hole with voluminous output. All of it dark tobacco that mixes heavy sweet spices with a near bitter espresso. The juxtaposition of sweet and sour doesn't divide on my palate, it instead mingles and dances -- taking a turn each at prominence. Through the nose is the same twirling dance, but with more bite. Once more through the nose and it brings a dark fruitiness to my pallet. I swish the next inhale and it's reminiscent of a fortified wine fruitiness -- port, cognac, or Mad Dog 20/20.
1/3:
The burn is slow and responds well to often corrections as per its evenness. The ash is thick and greasy as lunch's fried chicken left out on a plate till supper. It is all one quite lovely continuance from light and first third.

A dark tobacco with a fruity undertone. Sweet spices and espresso take turns on my palate. I'm very alright with this development. Hold my calls, and I shall see thou and thou and possibly even thou, in the

2/3:
The pack and burn each hold true, as does the taste. I've actually not much to add insofar as developments, so I'll tells ya some jokes:

The midget fortune teller who kills his customers is a small medium at large.

So this guy with a premature ejaculation problem comes out of nowhere.

If you're struggling to think of what to get someone for Christmas, 
get them a fridge and watch their face light up when they open it.

One thing I should note is that this stogie gives off more than an expected amount of smoke. Given your environment, it might too be more than accepted. It's a heavy smoke, but its sharpness hits the schnoz clean.

If consistency is the mark of excellence, this is that. In spades. Too, there is a very, very decent chew setting in.

3/3:
Not a lot more to report. A wire-to-wire victory a la Triple Crown misspelled champion extraordinaire American Pharoah' Belmont run. Strong, certain, and sans surprise.

Here, listen to Leadbelly address and dress down Hitler:


Pairings: A Red Eye or Shot in the Dark, depending on your geographic tendencies, as the coffee I sipped tasted watery in comparison. Espresso, natch. Port would be nice. A Nubian princess would also work well here. I'm sorry, I was pointing to my lap when I said "Here."

Not so much as a pairing, but I am thankful for that plate of fried potatoes I ate beforehand. This is quite the full-bodied affair, best met full-bellied.

Thoughts: Beautifully balanced. Not a kiddie nor a too serious a smoke be.

Final Grade: B++ 
(An A for a more even burn.)