Sunday, July 19, 2015

Oliva Serie G Maduro - Cigar Review

Prologue: 
7:26pm 

The sun sets on another Sabbath. I watch it play with the leaves on the trees across from my porch at the park. In the dappled shade, bums snuggle in for the night. G-d bless Eugene, Oregon. I wish I could bless it as does G-d -- from afar. Nonetheless...

The Cigar:
Oliva Serie G
Connecticut broadleaf, Maduro wrapper
Habano-seed Nicaraguan binder/filler
Churchill 7 x 50 size (box pressed)

Pre-light:
Macadamia and cocoa butter nose with a sweet tobacco back. The wrapper is firm and oily and smooth as compared to some other lesser Maduro offerings. Small veins which are few and far between and seams that seem seamless. The color is dark and rich and the cigar has a very nice overall feel to it.

A cold pull displays a darker than expected and dare I say succulent tobacco. Toasted macadamia is forefront on the cold pull palate.

Though box pressed, the corners are somewhat rounded.

All in all, I'm genuinely excited for the

Light: 
The light goes off without a hitch, because as I've stated previously, cigars are indeed flammable. In all serious, however, the affair is that of ease -- even given my now famously windy porch. 

The burn is off to a even start and the first couple-few pulls highlight a deepening nutty oil, quite a chocolate nose, and a pleasant finish of well-brewed coffee. It plays rather sensually, really.

1/3:
The corners of the box pressed Oliva were rounded at its onset and seem to be getting more rounded. The once firm pack is indeed loosening.

Flavor notes stay the same and warm as they toast. Nice. Very nice.

The ash is thick and oily and the output of smoke is within the high-end of average. It is dense and it is macadamia.

I notice a somewhat inconsistent draw, we'll see how that plays out. For now all else is even keeled and laid back. A cigar that seems to smoke itself and too, to beg for Brandy.

A dried fruity red plum comes to the finish.

Chocolate, fruit, nuts -- it's high end trail mix, gentlepersons! I'm fine with that, as long as I don't have to hike. Because I will do no such thing, sir and/or madame.

An exceptionally smooth and easy stick. Although not without balls, as I've oft critiqued Oliva. Total enjoyment. Let's see what awaits us in the 

2/3:
I flick off the well-pact ash at around two inches. I stubbornly resisted for some time and now I even the burn. It responds well and easily. I back off a tad in hopes of slowing the experience by not pulling like a fiend.

My lone complaint is lack of buzz, but the peaceful easy feeling is a good enough trade by something resembling quite far.

This Oliva is a batting Practice pitcher. Straight down the middle -- no change of speed, no movement. We have been macadamia, chocolate, coffee, with hint of dried heavy fruit throughout. Even when a new flavor note is added, it is somewhat telegraphed. This is no complaint. This is a well planned cigar. 

The draw has loosened to an average pull.

Ricardo Montalban should be narrating this cigar. Does anyone else hear Chet Baker, softly and in the background?

Fully heated notes that dance together in lusciously slow steps. Macadamia and chocolate. Coffee and rich red fruit no longer of the dried variety. The finish is long and welcome and the inherent sweetness of all involved. I notice the output has grown in fruitiness.

Too, the stick is now fully round.

3/3:
We begin with a touching up of the burn that is so responsive I feel it might have happened on its lonesome, had I simply waited. I begin to water my roses and somewhat hesitate to place the stick in my tray. Its feel is genuinely welcoming. Parting is such sweet... Screw it, the roses can wait.

Mid 3/3 there is a coming around of cedar that is, while quick, not at all abrupt. With its onset comes a comfy buzz and upon its departure, the stick reverts to inherently sweet Nicaraguan right down to the toothpick. A smooth nutty oil and cocoa finish prevails. 

8:47pm

Notes:
I wonder if I were in another type of mood, would this stick strike me as boring. I think not. I think there is enough warming and maturing which take place. I think, too, that the inherent deepness here is not indicative of a boredom. Just an easy, peaceful feeling that'll last a good ninety minutes and offer a solid near 20 minutes of buzz-strength from its general low-end of medium bodied classification.

It is a slow, warm and comfortable evolution of a cigar.

Pairings: 
Brandy and Cool Jazz. Sunglasses, even at night, kiddo.

Final Grade: A

Epilogue:
This will go down as the stogie which made me an Oliva believer. I get it now, guys, never dare a smoker to smoke a smoke. Easy like a Sunday morning, and everything (but the Sabbath) should be a Sunday morning.